8/10/2004

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Today’s post is of a rather personal nature.

I was driving home from a friend’s house today, when I felt a desire to ask my daughter a question. The question went something like this, “So…do you have anything going on right now in your heart that’s been bugging you, anything that keeps coming back even though you try not to think about it?”

To my amazement, she said yes. She told me her mom and her step-dad are having financial problems, and fighting because her step-dad’s ex wife is taking them back to court to get more money. She told me they can’t really afford a lawyer, and can’t afford to give her more money. The reason she wants more money, apparently, is because she wants to send her daughter to a private school that costs $400 a month. Regardless of the reasons, my daughter is worried and anxious over it all, continuously. Not only that, but she has to be around sometimes when my former wife and her husband fight.

I just sort of immediately went into this mode I have, where if something is bothering, or could be a danger to my daughter, I get very cynical, and angry inside. I wanted to call, or write to this woman, and tell her what her choices were doing to my daughter.

I understand that she is not in a good position, and was hurt in the exact same way I was when her husband left her for my wife. But the comparison stops there, really. Since all that happened, she has been very vengeful and spiteful; doing anything she can to hurt those two. I truly understand this, but I am fed up with my daughter being caught in the middle, and I wonder if I shouldn’t gently remind her that Ally IS in the middle.

I would like to tell her that when she tries to hurt them, she also hurts my daughter, only right now, I really want to do it in a way that isn’t loving, or gentle. I want to lash out, and use these words to hurt, and throw darts. Why must my daughter be hurt for the rest of her life because the adults in her life are such assholes? Tell me, what one thing has she ever done to them? When is enough enough?

So, am I supposed to just sit here and let it happen again? This is an ongoing thing, and I am not a pacifist, despite my faith. Am I to allow my daughter to learn how to be abused, and harmed, and to think that for the rest of her life, this is how things are supposed to be? When do I get to act on her behalf, without other Christians saying, “Oh, Tom, you need to be calm, and speak the truth in love.” I don't want to be calm!!

Here also is the truth spoken in love, “You white washed tombs, you brood of vipers,” or how about, “Woe to you teachers of the law and scribes, you travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.”? I am supposed to ask what Jesus would do? Maybe he’d say those things! How do we know?

Jesus certainly was not JUST love. He was not ONLY nice. He attacked, and kept the Pharisees on the defensive almost from the word go. His was a righteous cause, because his children were being harmed by the Pharisees. Is that the case here? Am I to react strongly because my child is being harmed by adults who act more like children than she does? IT'S BEEN FOUR YEARS OF THIS!!

I don’t know if I can do it any longer. I don’t know if I can sit by and watch quietly, as if I am not allowed to protect my daughter. I am sick of it all, and thinking very strongly that something needs to be done that will put an end to this stuff. Maybe reacting strongly will do it, I don’t know. What I do know is, something has to change. You can’t keep hurting a father’s little girl, and not expect to get hurt back. I guess that’s how I feel right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tom,
I had no idea ... I don't really know what to say except "hang in there". Not really helpful advice. You're a good dad, and it's great that your daughter could tell you her problems like that. Not many daughters are that lucky ...

Messy Christian

Tom Reindl said...

Elaine,

Thanks for the advice. Sad as it may sound, I had already brought this to God in prayer before I wrote. So............., sometimes, I meet His silence with anger, because I really want to know what to do. I guess maybe He's telling me I already know. Okay, so if I know, what if I don't like it? I guess that's just tough, isn't it? Suck it, Tom. Oh yeah, and suck it up Ally. However, when I think of that, I want to draw the line. I have sucked it up for lot of abuse, and I can take all anyone can stand to hand out. But when it comes to Ally............... There is my weakness.

MC,

Thank you. I don't have any answers either, but I am waiting until I cool off to do anything. It's been one day, and I didn't think about it, until tonight. Then I just got all pissed off again. So, I guess I'll wait another day, and then do something.

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Whatever you do, talk to your daughter about it first. You don't want her to be afraid to trust you with your feelings again. I know it is hard, but it is a mistake that I have made with my son. If you go off on them and they go off on her, then she will hold it against you. Just something to think about.

Tom Reindl said...

Anonymous,

Yes, I have talked with My daughter about it already. But this I would also say. If anyone goes off on my daughter, be it physically of verbally, then I will become the flesh driven arrogant ass I used to be, long enough to make sure they never do it again.

So, that's not really a possibility, because my former wife and her husband know better, and the woman causing the problem now still believes I don't see her as she really is. She isn't likely to go off on my daughter. But she may be likely to be spiteful toward me. So, I have waited to make sure of what I do, that I don't make it worse. Thanks.

SteveW said...

Tom,

For what it is worth, I would pray for the wisdom to do that which will demonstate the nature of our Lord to all parties. I would earnestly seek to do what is best for ALL the others in this situation. To forgive all for their offenses and not to return another offense in reaction to theirs. Notice, I said I would pray for it takes the Life of God to do that. I could not to this on my own and to permit the "old man" to have his way in this would, in my opinion, open the door to much more offense and hurt for all parties. These are the type of situations that really test us my brother and but I believe that the Father has already given you the sweetness of His Son so let Him Live in this situation. That's just my .02 cents worth. Love and prayers.

Tom Reindl said...

Steve,

Yeah, I am still waiting to respond to all of this, because I am still a little too angry to be thinking clearly. Patience with God will help, I know, and I am availing myself of His peace all day long. But there is still this issue to deal with, and I feel Him telling me not to ignore it. So, I guess I have to wait and pray for more guidance, because what I know right now feels incomplete. Thanks