8/12/2004

THAT DAY

Today, I want to talk about that day. You know, THAT day.

I want to know Jesus better than I do now, before that day. I want our relationship to be so close that when we meet face to face, it is like a joyous reunion between two brothers who knew each other well, but had to be in different places for a time. I don’t want it to be like I am meeting Him for the first time.

And when I see Him, I want to recognize Him right away, like I knew what He looked like all along. How is this possible? Well, the Bible gives some very good descriptions of Him, and I don’t think all of them are just figurative. So, I can get to know Him in the word He left behind on paper, AND I can get to know Him from my walk with Him. To know Him well then physically, and spiritually, that is what I seek.

Please do not think me selfish, but I want to know Him as well as any human being can. I will not compare myself with others. I just want to know Him, that’s all. The funny thing is, the more I know Him, the less I feel I know. It seems like the closer I get, the more I see how little I really understand. What an irony.

The Lord has given me eyes to see, and ears to hear. Why is it that I always wish I could see better with them? Possibly it is because it is not that day, and so long as that day is not here yet, I will always feel this way. At first, this can be disconcerting. But the more I walk with Him, the more I see that this paradox causes me to long for Him both here, and there as well. He truly does want me to want to be here, until it’s time to go Home.

A while ago, I had no problem deciding which I wanted. To be here meant each new new day was filled with pain more cruel than the last day. Now, however, Jesus has made me understand that pain is both necessary and good, all the while evil and undesired. What must Home be like when here, I need pain to know what health is? Or that I need weariness to know what rest is?

This world is screwed up. Nothing is completely the way God designed it anymore. To think about that in all of its depths is overwhelming, because nothing is left as it was at the first. Every rock has weathered, and every river has changed. Every tree is different than the first of its kind, and every animal is strange according to its ancestors. We have never touched perfect metal, or perfect wood, nor seen perfect blossoms. We, even we are tainted far from where Adam first strolled this earth. We scream for THAT day. I now scream for those who don’t know Jesus, for that day to put off one more day, please.

Jesus must have truly known suffering long before He was put on the cross. To walk amongst His own creation must have shredded His heart to no end. He is the only one of us since Adam who remembers what is was like from the beginning. Thank God for THAT DAY, when we too will see, and know what it was like at the beginning. On that day, when I am in Heaven, and I see my Maker’s face, I will not die again. Time will have no meaning, and I will never again have to wonder when Jesus is coming for me.

4 comments:

SteveW said...

I believe that we can hasten "that day" through our response to His invitation to permit us to be His dwelling place. To be at peace with all men and to manifest the "effortless grace" of His Life in dwelling in us. The call to come up here is to all who are in Christ. We don't have to wait to do that for in Him we are already seated with Him safely in His Fathers throne. We don't have to wait to experience eternal life for Eternal Life dwells in us and us in Him.

Tom Reindl said...

Elaine and Steve,

Thanks for your comments. Knowing Jesus let's me know you. That's eternal living, too. Thanks for the reminders. I needed them.

eddie{F} said...

Hey Tom

Good thoughts, but I would disagree with this:
“This world is screwed up. Nothing is completely the way God designed it anymore.”

Everything is right on track. Jesus is still on the throne and God has the whole thing covered and figured out. If only we open our eyes, we will see the beauty of His creation around us, in both nature and people.

And yes, I long for that day too, until then, I am going to find him down here as much as he chooses to reveal himself. I am utterly in need of Him, and fortunately he is always there for those who seek him.

Much care
;-)

Tom Reindl said...

Eddie,

Thanks. I do see the beauty of His creation. What I was getting at is that none of us has seen it as it originally was, so we haven't seen it at its fullest glory. But we will see a new earth, won't we?

Yes, I do try and open my eyes as often as I can to the beauty around me. But I know it's groaning, and I only know it because I groan, too, waiting for that day. Eternity is within me now, and maybe I need to focus more on that, and less on what is wrong. Take care, brother.