7/25/2004

WILD THOUGHTS

As I sit here in front of my computer, I wonder exactly what I am going to write.  God already knows.

Sometimes when I pray, I don't know what to say.  God has already heard it, and the answer is on the way. 

I looked at the clock this afternoon, and realized that my daughter Ally was late in being returned home from the weekend.  So I asked God when she would be back, who else would know?

I corresponded with a dear sister in Christ this weekend about a problem she is having.  She sort of asked for counsel, and I didn't know how to answer her in any definite way.  I am limited in my knowledge and wisdom, but God will answer her request for counsel in due time. 

When I tell God that I don't understand something, I only tell Him that because I know He does.

Yesterday, I could not have told you what I was all going to today.  Today I cannot tell you what I will all do tomorrow.  God knew it all before the foundation of the earth.

I do not know when I will be called home to heaven, but I trust that God does, for not even a sparrow falls apart from His will.

Whenever I write a letter of encouragement to anyone, I feel like I have written nothing but garbage.  Why then, are the results so different from what I feel I have written?  I don't even know what to write, and then I pray, and then it comes.  How can God know just what to say, when I am so clueless?  How can God take garbage, and turn it into hope?

I talk to God throughout the day, holding a conversation in my mind with Him.  Today, my daughter told me she knows how to do that, too.  I had hoped that my daughter's faith was her own, but my hope was tempered with the reality that she has me for a dad, and I get in the way.  How does God do it?

God made Balaam's donkey speak.  There has to be something He can use me for, too.

I am not depressed.  I am just sharing the wild thoughts inside my mind at any given point during any day.  Thank you.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is in states like these that we realise that we need God's love and help the most. The moment when we think we can handle things just fine, thank you, is when we slip away some how from GOd.. it's strange, and ironic ... But you've been an encouragement, whether you realise it or not. :)

Messy Christian

Tom Reindl said...

MC

Thank you. Still, the feeling persists with whatever I write. Yeah, yeah, everybody tells me it's fine, and I am sure it is. But............

I can't help but wonder, why does God allow us to feel like crap about what we write, knowing that at any monent, we might delete every thing we just wrote? And how am I to know when to delete it? I pray, I ask, but sometimes, there is great uncertainty. My biggest fear is that something I would say or write would harm or mislead someone. That is the biggest hurdle for me.

Anonymous said...

Tom, I feel that same fear too. The thing is,with people like us, words can be used as a weapon. We can twist words and dress sentences to deliver a hidden knife, and we know how to do it well.

As a professional writer, I feel that burden too because literally thousands will read my writing. Even when I wrte about stars, I remember that they're humans with families (which probably makes me a lousy gossip writer) and refrain from asking hurtful questions. I speak to them like normal people because that's what they are.

It's great that you have this fear, believe it or not. It's there to restrain you from abusing your gift, and I think that's a mark of a good and responsible writer.

Messy Christian