7/14/2004

PEACE

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4: 6-7

Advice to live by, I say. In fact, by experience, I can say that. Whenever I have followed this advice of Paul to the Philippians, I have never experienced anything but amazing peace. It is always better to speak of something which we can truthfully acknowledge through having experienced it.

In my time with Christ, there have been many moments when I have needed to call upon the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension. I call it peace when I have no worldly reason to have peace. It is something the world cannot explain, nor understand. It is the calm during the midst of danger. It is the quiet in the roar of our emotions. It is the stillness in a cyclone of fear, and a whisper in the darkness of doubt. It is the peace of God, and it truly does surpass all comprehension.

There was a time in my life when nearly every day found me on my knees begging for peace. "Lord, lighten the darkness in my mind, quiet my fear, and soothe my senses, because I can't see past this moment. I can't see my way through 'til tomorrow." Have you ever felt this way? I don't know anyone who hasn't. Anxiety and fear, doubt, anger, pain, they all cause troubled times for our heart and mind.

Here is what you can do. I say "do", not try, because when you do, you will be at peace. Trust God in times of anxiety. Trust Him when you are angry, sad, hurt, afraid, or in doubt. Then go to Him in prayer, and name the peace you desire. Ask God for the peace that transcends all understanding, and He will grant it. It's just a prayer away, a question that takes no effort to ask, just hope and trust.

None of us wants to fear, or doubt, be anxious or angry. So when we are, we must rememebr that in this world, we will have trouble, but there is One who has overcome. Let us go to Him, and ask for the peace of God, and He will grant it exceedingly beyond our expectations or understanding. I hope this post finds you at peace, but if not, now you know where to go.

No comments: