7/19/2004

PREDESTINATION OR NOT? 2

Hello!!!  Day two of the research (what little time I had to do it) bore much fruit.  As I prayed over this topic, and just sort of laid and listened, I became aware that my mind was filling with questions, and new ideas for places to look for information.  I didn't hear a voice, mind you.  But I certainly received a lot of direction.  So, I am going to list some of the questions that filled my mind.  Please understand that I can't put all of the questions down, as there are just too many to write out efficiently at this point.  When is someone going to invent a thought scanner?  Let's get started.
 
1.  How can a man save himself?
2.  If a man chooses to believe, has he not saved himself?
3.  If a man is truly lost unless Jesus saves him, how can he know which direction to take to make the right choice?
Now we get to the really tough questions
4.  Jesus said that those who sin are slaves to sin (John 8:34)  If they are slaves to sin, who can do nothing but sin, how is it possible for such a one to do good?
5.  If "choosing" to believe in Christ is good, how can one who can do no good choose to believe?
6.  If a man who  is in a deep pool of water, has come to the end of his stamina and can fight to stay above water no longer, does he have a choice?
7.  What is the meaning of Jesus' statement, "No one can come to me unless it has been granted him from the Father"?
8.  Where does the power to believe come from?  Is it something we generate when we hear the gospel?  Or is the power to believe given to us?
9.  If a man is a slave, is he free to choose freedom?
10.  If we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them, how could God not know who he was creating?
11.  If we say that God created everything with its purpose, how is it possible that God would not know that purpose?
12.  If God wills something, does it not come to pass?
13. What is the meaning of Christ's statement, "Many are called, but few are chosen?"
14.  Can this statement be taken chronologically? "For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the first born among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called, and these whom He called, He also justified, and these whom He justified, He also glorified." Romans 9:29-30
15.  What is the meaning of this question from God to Job?, "Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty?  Let him who reproves God answer it." Job 40:2
 
These question are just a few of the questions that flooded my mind as I asked God to help me understand free will, and predestination.  As I work through this, my heart tells me these questions, and those that remain in my mind must, and can be answered. 
 
As I said, my mind also filled with new places to search, and amazingly to me, the Old Testament came up quite often This verse sticks out in my mind, it is from Genesis 6:5, and I believe it still applies to our condition prior to salvation.  "Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that his every thought was only evil all of the time."  If this is our state before we are saved, then is it even possible that we could choose to believe in some thing good?
 
One last question.  In cases of adoption, who chooses, the child, or the parent?
 
A lot of questions.  I believe there will be a lot of answers.  Take care in Christ.  Thank you.
 
 
 

No comments: