7/02/2004

LET'S SEE IF THE CHURCH REALLY WORKS

I was leading the men in my group tonight, and we were talking about solitude in our discussion. Part of my plan was to have them actually try it. So, I asked them if they would be willing to brave the "silence", for about fifteen minutes, and then come back and let us know how it went. They all came back with pretty much the same results. Each one felt very much at peace upon returning. I felt that way, too, but something happened during my time of solitude.

There is a fellow in our group whom I was led, very, very strongly to pray for during my time of silence. His name is Bill. During my times of Spirit led prayer, I don't really always know exactly what to pray for, but in Bill's case, I had a pretty good idea. Bill had recently undergone his fourth back surgery. So, I prayed about that, but there was still this strong leading, so I stayed quiet and listened. When I came out of my solitude, I knew right away what I had to do, and I hoped Bill would return before the others, so we would have a chance to talk.

Sure enough, here came Bill first. He sat down, and I asked him how everything was going. He seemed reluctant at first, so I told him about how I had just been strongly led to pray for him now. He then opened up. "I'm not doing so well. I think I just overdid it today, and I have to realize that I can only do so much," Bill said. I asked him what he meant by that, because I could see now he was really struggling with something. He answered, "I don't know what to do. We (his wife and he) just learned that Sharon (his wife) is going to need hip and knee replacement surgery, as soon as allowable. She can't work right now in our business, and she's not allowed to do any work around the house either. I'm trying the best I can, but it's not working. Then, I have all this yard work to do, and my front lawn, which is about half the size of a football field, is three feet high right now. With my back, I can't mow it with the weed eater, so I don't know how that is going to get done either. I can't afford to pay anyone to help me, so I don't know what I am going to do."

At this time, all the other guys started to come back, so Bill and I filled them in on what we had been talking about. Then, a thought occured to me; "Here's a chance for us to see if this church really works." I turned to the man on my left, Dave, and asked him if he would stop by church and talk to the pastors about getting some long term help for Bill and his wife inside of the house. Then, I turned to the rest, and asked them if they would be willing to join me next Wednesday so we could tackle that football field of a lawn. Everyone wanted to join. Some can't because of the night we picked, but they have other opportunities to help, and the ones who couldn't be there offered the use of their heavy duty equipment to make the job easier.

I am so fired up about these men. Besides myself,only one of them has ever had the chance to be involved in helping someone else like this. Strangely enough, that one is Bill. Several of the others are new Christians, and one just joined our church not too long ago. So, here's our chance to be the Body. Considering the enthusiasm these men showed tonight, I do not doubt that we will be with Bill and Sharon for as long as they need us. And I know God will enable us to finish the job. Thank you Jesus.

No comments: