7/01/2004

WALKING IN THE WORLD

There has been a lot of talk lately about doing things that are considered "worldly", and how those who read certain books, and listen to certain music, and go certain places are walking by the flesh. I must admit that I read some of those "certain" books, and listen to some of that "certain" music, and go to some of those "certain" places. Why, just last night, I was hanging around outside of three different exotic dance clubs, praying while several ladies from our church delivered gifts, and hope to the girls who worked at these clubs. I was actually thanking God for leading us there.

Hmmm...... How can it be? Tom!!! You ought to be ashamed of yourself, hanging around strip joints like that, right?! Wrong.

I am not ashamed. I am thankful that my Father takes me to work with Him every once in a while. Tell me, if we aren't there, who will be?

The people who would chide me for reading books such as Harry Potter, or The DaVinci Code are dear brothers and sisters in Christ. Yet I am judged by some as walking in the flesh when I "indulge" in these stories. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We have had James thrown at us, and Paul, and even Jesus. And yet still, we persist in our freedom. What are they to do? The next logical thing of course, and if I hear it, I think I may go ballistic. That next thing we will hear goes something like this, "Well, I doubt they ever really were Christians. I don't think they ever truly accepted Christ." If you want to make my blood boil, say that about someone sometime to my face. I have heard friends say it about someone they knew, and fellow churchgoers, and even pastors.

Here's my answer. "I wonder what I would have to do to get you to say that about me? Better yet, I wonder what you will do so that I get to say it about you?" That answer usually stops them dead in their tracks. You see, it's so easy to judge someone on the basis of their works, isn't it?

Jesus left us a clear message about the way we judge. "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2 Let me explain that verse so there is no misunderstanding. To judge anyone is not our calling, at all. That's the first part. The second part goes like this; If you judge someone by a certain standard, then by that standard, you also will be judged. Therefore, if you judge me, or someone else based upon their behavior, or works, then you are to be judged based upon your works as well. Simply put, one sin, and bye bye, for judging someone by the standards of what they have done means you volunteer to be judged in the same way, on the basis of your righteousness, which is non-existent. Now, do they really want to continue judging our freedom? I would hope the answer is no.

To give understanding for my reasons for doing what I do, let me please quote 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 which states: "Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God."

Please pay special attention to the word "ambassador". We have a purpose, to be ambassadors to the world in Jesus' name. What exactly does an ambassador do? Well, the first thing he does is he takes up residence in the country he is ambassador to. Then, he goes amongst the people, meeting them, learning about their culture and traditions, and investing his time getting to know how their mind works. What motivates these people? When do they celebrate, and how do they celebrate? How can I honor them so as to be welcome amongst them as a fellow man, yet still retain citizenship in my native land? These are some of the questions an ambassador must find the answers to. The more complex and confusing the culture, the more time, energy, and mental homework is required in order to know everything about this people that an ambassador can.

An ambassador will not learn what he needs to know by separating himself from the surrounding culture, and holding himself as higher than those he lives amongst, all the while naming them barbarians. But the ambassador is given freedom to do his job, to learn what he must, with the full support of the leadership from his native land.

Now, let's apply that to the gospel. If I do not invest time in the world, then I will not learn what I need to know to be a good ambassador to the country I am living in. So, I must find out about the culture. I must learn what drives them, I must discover how they think, feel, and act in any given circumstance. If I am not willing to go amongst the people, and know their culture, I will not be invited to teach them about ours. And my culture is the gospel. What a travesty it would be if because I kept myself holed up in my home, for fear of becoming like them, that even one of them missed the chance to get to know the King of my country. If I am to be an ambassador for Christ, then I must know the people I am ambassador to, yes, even if that means going to a bar, or standing outside of a strip joint. No one wants to hear what I have to say, if all I ever say is, "my country is superior to yours, you fool!"

Given that we are ambassadors for Christ, where has He left us to be ambassadors to? Is it not this world? Or is there some better place, some place more holy, some place where the people only read "approved" books, and sing "approved" songs, and do "approved" things? Yes, there is such a place, but the people there already know my King, why would Christ send me to be ambassador to a people He already calls His own? The fact is, He wouldn't. He sends me where people don't know Him, and that place is a scary place, not only to live in, but to visit as well. But I have the full support of my King, He has sent me there to find as much out about them as I can, as any good ambassador would do, in order that I might be welcome to introduce them to my King. I will not be welcomed by them if I stand aloof, and condemn this world. Rather, they will mock the country I come from, and I will never be given the opportunity to tell them about Jesus.

Fellow believers, ours is freedom to be in the world, as ambassadors for Christ, not as ambassadors for the "law". And if I read, or if I listen, or if I go, then I go in the Name, and the full approval and support of Jesus Christ. I ask you to think about this. I ask you to live free, and to get to know the people around you, what they do, what they read, what they listen to, so that you can know what they think and feel. You cannot have compasion for someone you do not relate to, it is impossible. If you cannot feel what they feel, how can you understand what they need? As ambassadors, we are called to find out what they think, and find out what drives them. That means getting our hands dirty, but don't worry, because Jesus got His hands dirty, too. Yeah, yeah, I know, we are not Jesus. To that, I have this to say; if you have Jesus living in you, then every day you become more like Him. So where can't you go? And what can't you do? Live in freedom as an ambassador for Christ.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good post Tom, and I think you're right - we should never judge. Sadly it's always more difficult in practise... it does sting when people say that you don't belong to Christ because you read certain books or don't do certain things.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was me, MC. :)

Tom Reindl said...

MC, Thanks. I think being an ambassador means we will be led to places we don't always like, and that others don't like as well. But as we've been saying, it's not wrong to enjoy some of the things in this world. It definitely depends on what our outlook about that thing is. I know a doctor who was an alcoholic for twenty years, nearly died from it, and all the while he was teaching for Christ, and growing in Christ. Not many people would say that this doctor was growing in Christ, but if they knew him, they'd say otherwise.

Sorry about the pop-up ads on my site. I still haven't figured out where they "actually" originate from.

LucyRainbow said...

Tom

Youve been to my site and read what I do.

People who come here say they appreciate this place being different from their everyday lives as it gives them space away from it.

Just a thought:)

Lucy

LucyRainbow said...

posted that before I finished my trail.

but it's not necessary to engage in the activities of the world to understnad people. Understanding people comes from relationship. I have one person I relate to who is into gambling. I do not engage in it myself and never have done, but I can listen to him and work with him on the basis of his own feelings and struggles.

We are called to be in the world but not of it. I have reached a point in my walk where yes not engaging in worldly activities is what God calls me to.

On a daily practical basis, it preserves my sanity also Tom. I could not do what I do if I was part of what I come across here.

Great your church is helping Bill, by the way. Community faith in action is always inspiring:)

Lucy

LucyRainbow said...

Tom

It's strange about the popups. I've got popup blocker but they still come up when I visit here.

It's annoying. Please find out soon what's happening.

Lucy