11/30/2004

RESCUE ME

So I haven’t been blogging much lately, and it’s not because I don’t have anything to say. Believe me!! I have plenty to say!!

Like….How ‘bout them Packers!!!?? 45 – 17 over the Rams last night.

Also, I ran into a very interesting small verse this morning. “then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation”. 2 Peter 2:9a NASB

Yes, I know. I have taken that verse completely out of its context. In this case, however, I would have to include the entire chapter to include the context, and since this is the second part to an if - then statement, suffice it to say if the Lord knows how to do all THAT, then He knows how to rescue the godly from our temptations.

Think about that verse for just a moment. How awesome does that make you feel? How much hope do you find in that little, itty bitty part of a verse? I find a mountain full of hope, and I find myself going over this verse in my mind, wondering how I never pinpointed this verse before?

We all have temptations. No one denies this. But do we all KNOW God rescues us from those temptations? Well, yeah, I guess so……………..

But how? And if so, why am I still sinning? What’s wrong with me? Why won’t God rescue ME? Have you ever thought that? So have I.

But the hope is this; if God can rescue me, and if I believe it, and if I ask God to rescue me, with each temptation, will He? Is this a promise? Or is this just a broad "possibly, maybe, but not likely" verse?

I want to know. So I am going to depend upon my Father to rescue me. I will not seek out temptation, but when I recognize it, I am going to depend on Him, and we’ll see what happens. Yes, I know…..that statement I just made doesn’t sound like I have a whole lot of faith in that verse, does it? Well, I am miles farther in faith today than I was yesterday, because yesterday, that verse had never jumped out at me.

2 comments:

Tom Reindl said...

Reid, I can truly understand why you would abandon the Vkings. I mean, after all, they have done nothing but disappoint their fans for what, forty-five years?

The Packers, on the other hand, can at least say they've won a Super Bowl in the last ten. Nevertheless, Brett Favre will retire one day. Until that time, we here in Green Bay are working on a series of clones to take up the slack.

I must admit, it does get tiresome listening to Al Michaels and John Madden blabber constantly about him.

Chad Pennington? Does he still play? He reminds me a lot of Vinny Testaverde, ha ha :)

Tom Reindl said...

Ah, now you're talking, Sharon. Proverbs is one of my favorite books. Welcome here. I am glad to meet you. Take care in Christ.