9/06/2004

GRACE!!

Over the next month or so, I will be using this Blog as practice, and as sort of a testing ground for a book I want to write. I am not certain of everything I need to write, so much of my sounding out will take place here.

I believe that I have received an answer to the many questions I have been putting to the Lord. Maybe a better word than “answer” is “direction”. There is peace in my heart after a tumultuous weekend, and for that matter, week prior. I feel a confidence again, although it is very tenuous, I admit.

That being said, I guess I am looking for some help with writing. As you know, my Blog is titled Effortless Grace, and naturally, much of my bent is on living that, and encouraging others to live it. The book I want to write will be mainly about that. But, there is much I have to learn before I can complete such an undertaking.

The first thing I believe any believer needs in their minds and hearts is grace, and copious amounts of it. Taking a look at the life of just about every believer I have met, their walk begins with their confession of Jesus as Lord. The next step is usually an attack from Satan. Grace overcomes all such attacks, but can you imagine the heart of a believer who doesn’t understand grace well, under such an attack? I would forego everything the Lord has taught me about doctrine for just a little more wisdom concerning grace.

You see, to me, grace defines the gospel. It is the gift we cannot buy, or earn, in any way. It is God’s to give, and He gives it generously. He is insanely protective of us, jealously guarding us from Satan. I mentioned in a comment on another blog that if any of us had to battle Satan for our salvation, none of us would be saved. That is why I do not believe in free will, at least not in the sense the world believes in it. I believe we make choices, but when it came to salvation, that is not something God left up to the fickleness of the human heart. He intended grace for us, that which we are given, which we have not earned, and cannot do for ourselves. Grace is love and joy in place of the wrath of destruction we deserve.

As believers, grace washes us constantly. We are always seen as righteous by God, who sees us through our intercessor, Jesus Christ. This is what I want to encourage people with. I want them to learn, to know, and to love grace, so that in our lives each one of us may walk perfectly imperfect, striving to do good, and always being tempered, then strengthened by grace.

Effort is worthless without grace. A man may as well be dead if he is going to write a checklist, and make great effort to change himself apart from grace, for apart from grace, we are apart from the Lord. Yes, you read me correctly. If there is no grace, there is no salvation, and where there is no salvation, there will never be grace. Since we have this grace abounding in us, and around us, then why not live with it, accepting it as the gift of the Holy Spirit to encourage us to great works not done by our effort, but by God through us, and in us.

Preaching the gospel is only possible through that same grace. Wear on your face guilt and shame when speaking of the love of Jesus Christ, and you will instantly be recognized as a hypocrite. Wear, however, grace when speaking of the love of Christ, and the light shining forth will speak the gospel for us. The hard work belongs to Jesus, we are allowed to go to work with Daddy, and that, too, is grace.

Grace washes everything. In it lies the blood of Christ, the power of resurrection, and the forgiveness of sins. What a plan!! What a gift!! What grace!!


This is the bent of my life. In order for me, or anyone to effectively live, and preach the gospel, I must, we must, live out grace as a moment to moment reality, not just a warm, fuzzy word. How can we help each other live out the gospel of grace better?

5 comments:

Tom Reindl said...

Elaine, emailing is fine. But, I like the open platform, too. Is everything alright? Whatever you want to do is fine with me. Thanks for your support, sister.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind the occasional anonymous comment. If you don't have a blog through blogger, you can't be known by your actions.

My name is Doug McHone (http://www.coffeeswirls.com) and I found you through a well thought out comment on faithgambler. I like what you have going here and am wondering if you intend to keep this blog running for the forseeable future.

You have a great grasp of something that we all either need to learn, or need to be reminded of. Thanks!

Tom Reindl said...

Doug,

God willing, I will be here for a long, long time. Thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot.

SteveW said...

Grace as an expression of the pure heart of the Father. The fact that He loves us all so much to give us freely (grace) of Himself, as domonstrated at the cross. It is above my human comprehension but the revelation of that grace makes me love Him in return and makes me want to share that love with ALL who will listen.

Tom Reindl said...

Hey Steve, Good quote!! Can I use it in my book? :)