5/25/2005

NESTLED IN AMONGST THE WORLD

The first time I read Deuteronomy Chapter eighteen, I didn’t notice it. I must have missed it, nestled in there amongst the Laws so quietly.

The second time I read Deuteronomy Chapter eighteen, I almost missed it again.

Deut 18:15 "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.

"This is according to all that you asked of the LORD your God in Horeb on the day of the assembly, saying, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, let me not see this great fire anymore, or I will die.'

"The LORD said to me, 'They have spoken well.

'I will raise up a prophet from among their countrymen like you, and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.

Deut 18:19 'It shall come about that whoever will not listen to My words which he shall speak in My name, I Myself will require it of him. NASB

The Prophet. There it is, hidden, and revealed, amongst the Law that would teach Israel what sin was. And how could things be otherwise? How could the Law be introduced, that same Law that teaches us what sin is, sin leading to death, without also an introduction to the One who would teach the words of eternal life?

I invite you to read this passage over and over, if you like. There are several places this Prophet was referenced in the writings we call the New Testament. John the Baptist was asked if he was the prophet, and Jesus told the Pharisees and teachers of the Law, in a roundabout way, that He was the very Prophet that Moses had written about.

I love the words that were used in Deuteronomy 18:18, which say, “I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.” They are matched perfectly when Jesus said, “My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me.”

In these words, and in all of the words of Jesus, we have the words of the Father. We feel His heart, we hear His will. And amongst the book of Deuteronomy, no less, we find all manner of Laws governing the Israelites. Amongst Deuteronomy, we have the Word of God, already promised as redeemer, to those who listen to Him. Has everyone heard the words of Christ? If not, what are we waiting for? That’s why we are here, to share them, to share Him.

I find an interesting parallel between the book of Deuteronomy, and today’s hectic pace. I find similarity between the jumble of Laws, and all we see each day in this world to draw our attention away from the only One who can teach us life. The Israelites knew the Law, but when The Prophet came, they didn’t recognize Him. We know the Prophet, and when we come, will they recognize us?

Will our love shine like a beacon in a busy world? Will they know us by our love? Or will our love be lost in the confusion of the day, barely noticeable, if at all? How often will we show love before it is noticed? How often will Christ shine in us before the world around us recognizes Him for who He is, the Way to Eternal life?

Nestled in amongst Deuteronomy is the introduction to the Prophet of God, the Savior, Jesus Christ.

Nestled in amongst the world are the Prophets of Christ, with Christ living in us. Although some things look different, not much has really changed.

No comments: