6/23/2004

LIVE LIKE JESUS IS COMING RIGHT NOW

Here is something that I will be sharing with my small group this Friday. I arrived at this because of the things I see in my own church that distress me, as well as all of the things I read and hear in other churches, yes, even churches internationally. There is this common problem we all share. It's called dissensions (Disputes, factions, etc Galatians 5:20-21).

Everywhere I go, I hear the "Christian song and dance" being played. You know, the one that starts out singing "oh, Blessed Lord God Jesus, how I give all of me to you.", and so on. It then moves into its second verse, which begins by talking about someone else (gossip), and ends with advice for that person , advice that person will never hear, because let's face it, gossip is gossip because the person isn't there to hear it. The third verse sings about everything this singing Christian is currently doing in their walk with Jesus, and ends with everything they have ever done (Ministries and programs).

The fourth verse (yes, this is a loooooong song) starts out praising the church this singer attends, but ends by bashing the leadership, and wishing just a few things (okay, ten or twenty things) were different, then it'd be a perfect place to "worship".

Everyone has either sung this song, or heard it sung. I am of the opinion that everyone has sung it, so don't feel like I am pointing the finger at you, because everyone means me, too.

I thought and thought about this, and what it comes down to is this:

Ten Questions Jesus will definitely not be asking you when you meet Him.

1. What church did you attend?
2. What programs were you involved in?
3. Was your church a good church, or a bad church?
4. Did you like the Pastor?
5. Did you like the type of music at your church?
6. Was there something your church did that you thought was wrong?
7. Did you find just the right church suited to your every idea of what "church" should be like?
8. Did you "feel" accepted in your church?
9. Were there people in your church that you thought shouldn't have been there?
10. What did you think I could have done differently?

Five Questions Jesus is sure to ask when you meet Him

1. Do you believe in Me?
2. Who do you belong to?
3. What did you do with everything I gave you?
4. Did you give everything to me?
5, Did you prepare yourself for My coming?

That last question is a little ambiguous, I admit. I mean, what can we do to prepare for His coming? But, these questions are the things that will pave our eternity. The ten questions above those? They mean nothing. Strangely, we seem to spend most of our time stuck on those issues.

What church we attend, what people we "fellowship" with, what clothes we wear, what money we have, what we think about every Christian we know, these things bear absolutely no fruit. The only things that matter are the things Jesus cares about.

Last night I referenced the Acts 2: 37-47 church. Do you know what is the most telling verse about that church, the verse that speaks loudest for them, and against this generation? Verse 46, which says, "Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart."

The Acts 2: 37-47 church continued with one mind (the mind of Christ), and with sincerity of heart. That is what is missing in the modern church. It is missing, I believe, although I do not know for sure, because we are more focused on the first ten questions than we are on the last.

After our salvation is sure, the only important thing is, do we live as though Jesus is coming right now? Everything else pales in comparison to this one thing. Because, if we live as though Jesus is coming right now, then all the answers to the questions Jesus asks us will be met with, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

So, we can focus on the meaningless, or we can focus on the questions Jesus will be asking us, and live as though He is coming, right now. May the urgency of the Lord's coming meet you fully with grace. Amen.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I think more of us "followers of Jesus" love Christianity more than we love Christ!

Anonymous said...

Oops! That was me (above)...

Bruce