4/23/2006

WHATCHA BEEN UP TO, TOM?

A great blogging friend of mine, Bruce, asked me "Whatcha been up to, Tom?"


I figured I have neglected this blog enough for the past few weeks, and I had better actually post something if I want this to be a weblog...you know, where one periodically updates things?

What have I been up to? A whole lot of work, that's what. Furthermore, unlike many who might not like to work so much, I have been loving it. Not that I love not writing much, and not that I love not having much free time right now, but I do love the work I do, so doing more of it isn't exactly what I'd call a hardship. I am blessed to love my job, and I still have found plenty of time to be with my daughter. So my priority of "daughter, then work" means something has to suffer, and sadly, it is this blog that has suffered.

I miss writing, I would be lying if I said I didn't. I miss visiting all of your blogs and leaving unwise, goofy comments wherever I go. In all, I simply miss the connection with you all, even if it is only electronic. I happen to believe that whatever medium we meet within can be transcended by hearts that truly care, so whether it is physical or electronic, the meeting is real in my mind.

I have been watching a bit more tv lately as well; my baseball team, The Milwaukee Brewers are televised quite a bit, and at the end of the day when I am tired, I find myself for the last few minutes of my day enjoying another (so far) mediocre season. Up...down...up...down. Funny thing is, I never get tired of it. :)

I'd like to say that I have been busy working in my yard as well, but that's simply not the case. It's very wet in my yard right now, the grass needs to be cut, and my tractor will only tear up the lawn if I happen to drive on it. Last years' leaves will just have to be cut up by my mower, because I doubt they'll be dry enough any time soon to be swept and burned. So my yard certainly isn't grabbing any of my attention.

But work has eaten the lion's share. I wish I could have you guys with me when I work, I'd love to have your help, and I'd love to teach you what I know about finish carpentry. That should take about thirty seconds. :)

I have also been researching for one writing project, as well as researching for a new phase of my business; home building. It's one of the things I haven't done yet, and I'd like to do it. However, if my research is any indication, there's a lot more to home building than just "building". There's selling, advertising, personal relationship building, business relationship building, additional insurances and codes to meet, liscenses to gather, and the all important first house contract to land, unless I actually decide to build a speculation home. That might be a bit iffy right now, given our economy and the market for spec homes dropping like a rock off a cliff. Nevertheless, I press on, and I love it.

I love you guys, too. I hope you will be patient with me, and the sporadic posting habits I have formed recently. I sure do enjoy all of you guys and your comments and caring. I wish I could do more, but right now, it just isn't possible.

Thank you, Bruce, for asking the question, and giving me a little incentive to write. :)

No comments: