9/27/2005

WHO AM I, AND WHAT AM I?

Almost a year ago, I wrote a series of posts regarding the topic of loving our neighbor.

No…I am not going to provide a link back to that series unless someone requests it, because I am too lazy tonight to do it. But I’d like to revisit that topic a bit.

I have mentioned several times these last few days that I want to be affected by love. I guess there are a few ways in which I already have been. My trouble is that I keep judging myself, weighing, measuring, judging to see if there is a change. Honestly, most of the time, I don’t think I see any.

That’s okay, even if what I think I see is true, I know God still loves me. And I know that so long as that is my foundation, so long as I do not try to make “change” the sum of my life, or even a false idol, I’ll be at peace.

Don’t worry, I love myself.

That’s a good place to start.

The main thrust of my series way back whenever was a paraphrase of the actual words “Love your neighbor as yourself” That paraphrase is “Love your neighbor as if he is you.”

That sort of puts things into a different perspective, doesn’t it?

I want to be affected by love.

I am my neighbor, and my neighbor is me.

If I am affected by love, my neighbor will be also. In fact, I think what I have been looking for is how I have been affecting my neighbor. Nothing wrong with that, you might think.

But, what REALLY is my concern? Is it really my neighbor?

I wonder. I have to think about that.

Maybe I’ll be back later to write some more. Take care.

No comments: