9/10/2006

GOD'S LOVE ISN'T ENOUGH?

I was talking with a Christian friend the other day and she asked me how I knew I was redeemed.

Knowing a little about evangelical Christian doctrine, I looked my friend squarely in the eye, and answered, "Because my Father loves me."

Now I knew even before my friend opened her mouth that there was going to be a "but" in this discussion. Still, it doesn't hurt to hear people out.

"But, that's not enough, Tom!" she cried, seemingly astonished at my answer.

To which I replied, "Wait a minute. Did you just say God's love is not enough?"

"Yes", she answered, firmly, nodding and slightly stamping her feet on the ground.

"At the risk of sounding as if I am condescending to you, could you please think about that statement for a little while? Could you please repeat out loud for me, 'God's love isn't enough?' " I asked.

She paused, looked at me as if she had been dazed for a moment, and kept silent for more than another moment. When she finally spoke, she said, "I never realized I was saying that!". She seemed distressed, even, as she understood what her retort to my belief was.

When she recovered, she asked me, "So...what's the answer?"

I looked into her eyes briefly, smiled softly, and said, "You already know the answer. Will you allow His love for you to be enough for everyone else?"

And that's it, isn't it?

When I am asked from now on how I know I am redeemed, I will simply answer, "because my Father loves me."

And if you say, "That isn't enough!", I will ask you the same question I asked my friend.

You mean God's love isn't enough?

No comments: